Corporate Latter

 Lockdown. People all over the world are terrified of their future. Where do we go from here? Is there even a future at all. 

That was what went through my head once I lost my job at the private company. I went back to waiting table. Got my back pain all over again and starts questioning where will my life go from here. Little did I know or even imagine that I am currently be sitting in a chair, in an office, working 8 to 5 hour job for the rest of my life. Little did I expect to be part of the corporate world but here I am.

No I'm not being cocky about this. I'm grateful for what I have indeed. This is a definite stepping stone to a whole different chapter. 

So when I thought everything seems so easy coming my way, little did I expect of what I might be facing next. Well like they say, everything nice do comes with a price. And I paid mine.

If you think you are such high value person with much talent to spare and even life principles that you promised to keep to yourself. Well let me tell you my friend, those things will simply went down the drain IF you do not stick to it. Are you that strong enough to make sure "nothing" can waver you or bend and break your values? Are you?

I for sure wasn't. 

Things I didn't expect to happen in a corporate world and I'm culture shocked.

1) Happy Hour

It's not that I don't drink those "drinks". I do but not as much and not as important as the ones I have during this hour. You used to thinking that going out and hangout with a little bit of beer is cool, right. You just want to have some fun with a bunch of people. BUT this one is not like that. Apparently you get to do this gathering to "please" your superior or someone from neighbouring department or office. And for the sake of accompanying them as a host and not being called "rude". In my opinion, there are a bunch of ways to have fun without involving too much alcohol though but damn, don't we have the right to say no? There's even certain colleague of mine who aren't much of a drinker end up being too "friendly" with it. And if you don't watched yourself, you'll get carried away. I did. And I'm not proud of it. I started to think that I've lost my sense of self. But honestly, I have no one to blame but myself. I should have said no to "happy hour" thing.

2)  Gossip

Boy to these spreads like wildfire. I mean, back in high school, these things seems like a no brainer to me. You could just shake it off and do your own thing. Your ultimate goal was achieving excellent grade and excell at school, right? well when you grew up, it's a different story now. One bad reputation and you're on everyone's radar. Privacy is no longer possible because everyone seems to always have something against you and they have no trouble spreading those words around. 

3) Clowns

Haha. This one is the best part. I knew for a fact that not everyone is being authentic around each other. somehow everyone have their own agenda and doing so well at hiding it behind those masks, including me. Which is why, sometimes I felt like an imposter. I don't know who I am anymore or which one is the real me. Am I being myself at all? the whole time?

4) Work Bestie

you should be old enough to understand that there is no such thing as this term. It's best to keep your distance. Never be too close to someone or you'll break. It's good enough to treat people with kindness but never too much. If they treat you bad, be wise enough to never do the same in return. Revenge are for the weak and no good would come from those. It will only caused bitterness to grow in you. Let go. Just do your job, communicate and be a team player, then that's it. DON'T commit yourself to your work environment.

5) Scandalous Relationships

yikes! this one is the craziest to me. I mean I've seen it only in TV shows and Kdramas but damn it's real. Someone is having affair with someone's wife/husband and not feeling guilty of it. And apparently, everyone knows about it but didn't say a thing. As if nothing happen. They certainly mind it but not the doer though. It's weird how some people are so thick skin and unashamed. But who am I to judge. I might as well just shut up too.

6) Harrasment

You know the first week of me working, my supervisor already told me to be cool about the others making "dirty jokes". saying that certain people in the office tend to make stupid jokes. A certain "action" or "body parts" or "parables involving sexual behavior" are called normal. And if you're not cool about it or respond in a harsh way, they considered you to be uptight or not open minded. Seriously. Does morals or sense of respect could be so thin these days? 

7) Misogynistic 

I cannot tell you how much I hate men underestimating woman a lot. Here is no different. It certainly not easy being a woman in corporate world.

I'm sure there's plenty more I would like to say but lets just end it here. And despite all this, you should remember who you really are. the reason why you are there and what you could contribute to society. Know your values and life principle so that you could avoid any of those things which are not necessary.

 


Comments

Popular Posts